Now that the holidays are over. We're back at getting ready to race the 2015 Dirt Riot season. Since the last post I've met and got to know more industry people. So yet another chassis is side lined. After talking with a few people. I was convinced a tube chassis suits my needs much better. So this chassis will be saved for a future project or sold off for what I have into it.
However I still have a pile of parts that would make a fun trail and Dirt Riot interim rig. So I found another chassis. We started on it two weeks ago and so far we got it to bare chassis and cut out all the stuff we're not going to use. I'll post up some pics once I get my hosting site squared up.
So I finally got some pics loaded to a hosting site. I update Facebook more often mostly because it's much easier, I get more feedback there, and for the marketing parnters.
So on the second weekend of January this year. We got a bare late model chassis. I didn't get any pics of it. But I'm sure you can can imagine what a bare chassis looks like. We came up with a plan of action while throwing some back over the New Years celebrations. So as soon as we got the chassis on the rack we went straight to chopping.
With everything cut out of the rig we started building the rig to our desires. The plan is to keep it leaf sprung in the rear and a three link in the front with coilovers. Luckily one of the guys on the build isn't only a co driver but he's a design engineer so we got our own custom cut stiffners brackets and such. Every single bracket and tab is made in house courtesy of out main sponsor Element Metals out of Phoenix Arizona.
Next suspension. The plan is for leaf sprung rear using '02 F150 leafs for now. With the current setup we have about 12" travel, we're looking for 14. I'm sure we have it figured out. But that's for a later date.
Rear axle is a late model 14 bolt with factory disc brakes welded diff and 5.38 gears. We built out own U-bolt eliminators. Other brackets we're from a previous build which is now the Short Bus Mafia Racing chassis.
Front suspension came right out of the previously mentioned chassis. It's a simple 3 link with panhard setup. Arms will be changed out later for Aluminum. The axle is a CAD Dodge Dana 60. not the best thing in the world but it will work for it's intended purpose.
While all this building was going on. We met and got a couple really cool sponsors. Raceline wheels came on board stronger than I ever expected. I got to say those Monsters look super sexy with sticky BFG's
Justice Brothers is hooking up with some sweet swag as well.
Packmule Adventures also came through with some of their sweet product.
Still haven't caught this thread up with what's going on. The cage and suspension is finished. Dash layout is mostly figured out. We're trying to keep it so most of the gauges and controls can be reached by either of the occupants. Hardly any of the factory wiring is staying. e.g. Engine harness, and DLC are the only factory wiring that's being reused. Everything else is brand new wiring using GM style connectors and PMA4X4 fuse/relay boxes, military style battery clamps, and swicth panel kits. they can be found at www.pma4x4.com. I stress tested and measured the amperage draw for every single circuit in the car and fused them them accordingly. I don't see electrical problems in the future of this car.
This is the finest battery cable I could get my hands on for the price. There shouldn't be a problem supplying voltage to the entire car through this stuff.
If anyone has ever spent any time shopping around for light steering wheels. You've come across Joe's racing products. Not the most high dollar stuff but nice none the less.
We're not using this layout for the oil coolers. After long and hard thinking we decided to move them elsewhere.
Here is a top view of out front end setup. Some changes and more chopping has happened since this.
Here is a rear shot. Again changes have been made since this pic was taken.